Wellness is often thought of as the “proactive” approach to healthcare, where treatment focuses on disease prevention and the optimization of health. Preventive care at all ages can help your pet live a longer, healthier life and can reduce the long-term costs of veterinary care. Wellness Care Consists of:
- Wellness exams
- Parasite control
- Dental and oral health evaluation and recommendations
- Spay and neuter
- Elective surgery
- Senior care
Did you know that because pets age four to five times faster than we do, health problems can progress much more quickly? Wellness care at all ages, including regular exams, vaccinations, and health screenings, will help your pet live a longer, healthier life. Exams, at least once a year, are strongly recommended to prevent or detect health problems in your pet and reduce the long-term costs of veterinary care.
Wellness Care Benefits
- For puppies and kittens, exams help ensure they are growing and developing normally, receiving the right vaccines and other preventive medications, as well as detecting any infections.
- For adult dogs and cats, exams will aid in detecting problems before they develop into serious and expensive diseases or conditions.
- For mature pets, exams will help detect some chronic problems that may develop with age including arthritis, cancer, kidney disease, heart problems, or dental trouble.
- Regular vaccinations prevent disease from harmful viruses and keep other pets, as well as your own, safe. Vaccines are recommended based on your pet’s life style and are especially important for puppies and kittens.
- Screening tests that examine blood, urine, and fecal matter can detect problems that are not apparent by physical exam alone. Early detection is important for successful treatment. These tests may also detect diseases that could be transferred to people.